The practice of kirtan is infused with love. It is a powerful doorway into the lifelong practice of transforming ourselves into loving human beings, bringing us into greater union with the Beloved that dwells inside us and beyond. In a very unique and personal way, we have the possibility through chanting to touch the deepest, most tender parts of being human and the sacred pulse of the Universe.
This kirtan intensive offers a deepening experience of devotion, presenting kirtan as a loving spiritual practice of transformation (sadhana). It is designed for those who want to expand the role of chanting in their lives, or wish to move in the direction of learning to lead kirtan. For all levels of musical or kirtan experience.
The intensive includes:
- Deepening experience with the practice of sacred chant
- Eastern and Western vocal technique
- Instruction in one area of concentration for two break-out sessions: harmonium, voice, guitar/bass or percussion
- Common mantras, their meanings, usage, and correct pronunciation
- Understanding Bhakti (devotion) and how it connects to the other paths of yoga
- Study and discussion of philosophy through the Bhakti Sutras
- Introduction to Japa practice (recitation of mantra)
- How to create a sacred mood in kirtan (Bhav) and channel emotional energy
- Learning to chant the Hanuman Chalisa
- Cultivating a home practice
- Foundational skills for learning to lead kirtan, if desired
- Sequencing and working skillfully with the energetic dimension of kirtan
- How to start composing and arranging chants
- You will have the opportunity to make your own personal offerings in a supportive group setting
This intensive takes place over a 6 week period of time.